Court reporting is a high-demand industry with excellent potential for income, especially for the right kind of person.
In addition to formal schooling and training, there are certain skills and qualities that someone should have in order to excel as a court reporter:
- Do you have a good vocabulary and a good grasp of the English language?
- Do you have the finger dexterity to type quickly?
- Are you a good listener?
- Do you have good attention to detail?
- Do you have an interest in the judicial process?
- Do you have cultural knowledge of people and events that might be mentioned?
- Do you have knowledge of legal terminology?
- Are you proficient with computers and technology?
- Can you listen and either speak or type simultaneously?
- Can you focus intently for long stretches of time?
If you answered yes to most or all of these questions, then court reporting might be the career choice for you!